Sunday, May 3, 2020

J is for Jungle!

We did some fun jungle activities this week while learning about the letter J!


Keep scrolling to see what we did, or click on one of the links below to revisit similar themes we've done in the past.

J is for Jet - 2015

Letter J Practice
I made a similar page last week for the letter I, but changed it up a bit!


Sweet E did a wonderful job with the giant thumbtack poking! I remember Honey Pot and Little M&M used to enjoy using these, so I was excited to bring it out for her to try. We use these on the carpet.


Here is the completed page, and I think she picked up on the shape of the letter J quickly!


Who is Hiding in the Jungle - Scissor Skills
I stuck some old jungle stickers onto green paper, and pre-cut the grass for her. Then I asked her to trim the grass to see who was behind it.


Scissors are still a challenge for her, but she followed through until the end!
  

Ta-da!


Feed the Monkey - Alphabet Review
I made a little monkey out of a box in the recycling, and cut out little bananas with the letters we have learned so far. This is a similar game to the Cookie Monster one we made during our Letter C week, which she LOVED. Though we were reviewing shapes that time.


I used my best monkey voice and asked her questions like, "May I have the letter F banana, oo oo ah ah!" And she loved this game so much. We played three times in a row. We actually kept it out for the week, and she returned to it over and over, with her Daddy and her siblings too!


Lion Craft
For this week's craft we made a lion out of a paper plate. First she painted it.



Then she glued on the eyes, and I drew on the face. And finally, we sneaked in more scissor practice, as she helped to cut little slits along the mane. She did great!


Pattern Snakes
I drew two little snakes onto paper, and started ABAB patterns with stickers. Then I asked her to finish the pattern.


She grasped the concept quickly, and was able to complete both snakes!


Next time I'll add in a more complicated pattern and see how she does.


Roll and Cover Giraffe - Number Recognition
I printed a giraffe coloring page, and added the numbers 1-12 inside its spots. Then we took out a die with the same numbers from a game we have. She had to roll the die, find the matching number, and cover it up with a star bead.


She knows so many of these numbers! With each roll, she'd tell me the number showing, or if she didn't know I'd tell her.


We continued the game until we had rolled every number!


Jungle Animal Bath - Sensory Play
We brought out her jungle toys, from her 1st birthday party almost two years ago, and gave them a bath in the water table. I just squeezed in a little bit of dish soap, and we whisked it up to make the water all bubbly. She loved this!


She'd get the animals all bubbly, and scrub scrub scrub!


Then give them a rinse. She did this over and over!


What a great way to end the week!