Thursday, August 2, 2012

Play Date Book Club

Theme: Press Here, by Hervé Tullet
Age: Honey Pot is 2 years and 3 months old


Hugely inspired by one of my very favorite blogs, Mommy and Me Book Club, I decided to include some structure to one of Honey Pot’s play dates this week. I chose one of her current favorite books, Press Here by Hervé Tullet. This is a wonderful and unique book that requires audience participation. They are asked to press, shake, tilt, clap, etc. and observe the results of their actions. It is very fun, and very cute to see the children react to the new arrangement of dots.

Originally I had created an entire tot school theme out of this, with multiple activities and even a dot-inspired snack. But because it was my first time, and I wasn’t sure how interested the children would be, I kept it quite simple.

First we read the book.

Press Here 

Then I provided the three girls with booklets (made just from two sheets of printer paper folded in half and stapled together) and dot markers. These I purchased from Amazon, and we love them! For older children, after they are done creating their dots, you can ask them to create the captions for their books.

 

For this idea and others for Press Here check out this blog post at Crayon Freckles!

And I apologize for the lack of pictures. I didn’t want to scare Honey Pot’s friends away.