Saturday, February 23, 2019

Learning about Green!

Green Discovery Bin
I filled a large bin with several green things from around the house. Mostly toys, but a few other surprises as well. I wanted a variety of textures for Sweet E to explore, and opportunities for play along the way! As she plays with the items we talk not only about the color, but about what she's doing as well. It's a great way to build her vocabulary!


One of her favorite things from the bin this week was this toy house I snagged from Honey Pot's room. I gathered some green pom poms, and showed Sweet E how to push them in through the window.


It was so fun!


Then she'd open the lid, dump the pom poms out, and do it again! 


She came back to this activity over and over throughout the week.


Sweet E likes taking these ball pit balls, and pushing her fingers into them, to make a popping sound.


Trying on some green jewelry from the dress-up bin.


Toothbrush holders are always engaging!


Stacking blocks.


Squigz are such a great toy. I cannot believe the use we have gotten out of them over the years. Simply attaching them like Sweet E is doing here, or sticking them onto windows, or even throwing them onto walls to see if you can get it to stick from afar (...this game is even popular with my husband)!


Here she is another morning getting fancy with her green dress-up accessories.


And driving around the green Lego Duplo car.


Bowling!
For the next activity I stacked some green cups we had leftover from a birthday party, and grabbed a green ball pit ball.


Sweet E and I took turns rolling (or throwing) the ball toward the tower, to see if we can knock all the cups down.


When she was done playing this game, she started to stack the cups. Also a fun activity!


And before putting them away, we decided to play the "Where's the ball?" game!


Uh oh, where'd it go?


There it is!


We stuck this into her discovery bin, and returned to it again later in the week. 



Tearing Paper + Gluing Craft
I had some leftover crepe paper from a birthday, probably Little M&M's Good Dinosaur party, and tore off a few strands for Sweet E to tear up. I also supplied her with a glue stick and a piece of cardstock with a frog printed onto it.


First she started tearing the paper into small pieces.


Then she spread glue onto the frog.


And finally, together, we placed the torn pieces onto the glue.


We tried to leave the eyes and mouth showing. Super cute!


Green Shapes - Lily Pad Jumping
While I had frogs on my mind, I grabbed some sheets of foam and cut shapes out of them. Sweet E LOVES playing in water, whether it's the bathtub, a pool, sprinkler or even just lingering in the sink while she washes hands. So I decided to make an activity out of it. I present to you: shape lily pads!


"Can you make the frog hop to the circle?"


"Can you make the frog hop to the heart?"


The play went on like this for just a minute or two. She really just wanted to splash around! So I gave her another frog, and they went on a hopping frenzy together!


Color Sorting
For this week's color review I had just the perfect toy, since these are the four colors we've covered so far. I dumped out the four boxes, and asked Sweet E to put the toys in the boxes that matched.


"That ball is blue. Can you put it into the blue box?"


"The banana is yellow! Can you put it into the yellow box?"


Sweet E loves to tidy things up actually, so this was just like cleaning up toys at the end of a day!