Sunday, May 5, 2019

Learning about Circles!

This week Sweet E and I began learning about shapes. She is already familiar with basic shapes, thanks to some of her toys and books, but we had a lot of fun reviewing! We took most of our inspiration from Little M&M's circle week in tot school. Have a look!

Circle Prints
We love painting activities! I squirted some paint into small paper plates, and showed Sweet E how to use the cups to make circle prints on the paper. She seemed so curious about it!


She made lots of circle prints!

  

Then after we filled the paper, she looked at me as she slooowly reached her hand toward the plate. 😂 Finger-painting? Sure, I'll allow it!


She looooved this.


And was so fascinated by her hands, each time she dipped them into the paint!


Stacking Cheerios
Cheerios are a favorite snack around here. I stuck a broken spaghetti noodle into a clump of playdoh, and showed Sweet E how to stack the Cheerios onto it. She did a couple.


Then ate a couple. She was quite pleased with herself!


Here she is asking for one more.


Then as she munched, she stacked some more. Great fine motor activity!


Then she decided to pull them off.


And do it again!


Circle Stickers
Next I grabbed our circle stickers, and drew a circle onto paper. I added several dots around it for her to place the stickers onto.


She continued until each dot was covered!

  

Quick, easy activity!


Playdough + Circle Manipulatives
Next I pulled out some playdoh along with circle cookie cutters, beads, googly eyes and buttons.


She was excited to play! First we rolled out some dough.


And then we cut out circles in three sizes.


We talked about sizes, and I asked her which circle was the smallest, then the biggest.


Then we used our accessories to decorate them! I made the yellow face, then offered for her to create faces on the others.




I love the dimension in her faces' mouths. Such character!


Color Hop
The next day we went out to the driveway for a color hop! I drew large circles onto the driveway, and asked Sweet E to "Hop to the purple circle!" She was eager to hop!


We continued with the other colors!


And she had a blast!


"Where's the purple circle?"


I also asked her if she could draw a circle. She did great!


Of course, it kept going round and round, but the idea is there. 😂


And even when we moved on to riding bikes, exploring in the yard, etc. she still kept coming back to hop on the circles. What a great gross motor game!


Watercolors and Circles
And finally, I pulled out our new watercolors. We first used these for last week's spaghetti sensory bin, the grand finale of our color themes! I filled our old baby food containers (which get a lot more use during activities than it ever got for baby food!) with liquid watercolors and water. And I used this laminated circle sheet that I created for our creative table a couple years ago.


Sweet E used a dropper to fill the circles with watercolors.


This is a highly supervised activity, so it didn't leave much time for pictures lol. But she had fun with this for a few minutes. Then to extend the activity, I pulled out a piece of watercolor paper, and drew circles on it with a white crayon. She used a paintbrush to paint over it and reveal the circles!


She really enjoyed this!


Here it is once it dried: 


She still wanted to continue painting, so I pulled out some paper towels next. They looked so pretty all covered in colors!