Friday, August 21, 2020

U is for Unicorn!

Today we did a few "U is for Unicorn" activities! We're wrapping up the end of our alphabet one day at a time, instead of weekly, so we can start fresh themes for preschool. Keep scrolling to see what Sweet E and I did today, or click on one of the links below to revisit similar themes from the past!
 


Books
We found these cute books at the library! "Uni the Unicorn" is such a sweet story about a unicorn believing in mythical little girls even though none of her friends do. And "Twinkle, Twinkle, Unicorn" might be a very simple board book, but Sweet E loves singing and music, so it was a hit! We sang it over and over and over!


Introducing the Letter U
Instead of our usual letter page, I created this for Sweet E to learn the letter U. She needed to dot all the clouds with U's in them!



She had no trouble at all, and it was nice to mix things up a little bit!


Scissor Practice
I found this fun idea at Hello, Wonderful but used my own stickers that I had on hand. Sweet E had to lead the unicorn to the rainbows, by cutting along the lines.


She's getting so much better with scissors; I love to see her learning!



Alphabet Review - Unicorn Game
I found a game board from Playdough to Plato, a free printable! And I added in the letters we've learned so far. Then Sweet E and I each took turns rolling the die, and moving our pom pom across the board.


We had to identify the letter we landed on each time, which was great review! And she likes to have our pom poms talk to each other lol.


I grabbed a die with just the numbers 1-3 on them, so we were sure to hit as many letters as possible. And we even played a second time!


Building a Rainbow
I decided to include this fine motor activity, because rainbows and unicorns just go together so well! I stuck some pipe cleaners into a piece of Styrofoam I had on hand, and gave Sweet E a container of matching beads.


She immediately got to work color-matching!


And of course the pipe cleaners had to talk to one another, because everything we do includes a bit of pretend play lol. How very much like her sister she is!



Unicorn Hopscotch
We donned our unicorn headbands, leftover from the Rainbow Unicorn party we had last year, and headed outside for some hopscotch! I thought this would be a great way to go over the numbers 11-20 again!


First we took turns hopping across and saying each number in order.


Then I called specific numbers for her to jump to.


She had a blast!